Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Going old school with Pepperoni Stromboli



In the effort of using up older items in my freezer (dough), I decided to revisit a previous recipe. The last time I attempted this recipe, I ended up in tears and wanting to throw the dough across the room.

This time around I realized that the dough was not thawed enough, and was the wrong temperature. This recipe is from www.allrecipes.com (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pepperoni-Stromboli/Detail.aspx), my fall back place to find recipes to try. I want to note that I made sure I had enough of the ingredients, but I generally increased the amount I put on the bread (except for the sauce, which I put less of).

Ingredients:
2 (1 pound) loaves frozen bread dough, thawed
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce (I used a spinach and cheese spaghetti sauce)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
4 ounces sliced pepperoni sausage
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
These directions are based off the ones from the recipe and include edits from me.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll each loaf into 20x8 inch rectangle. Place one rectangle on a greased baking sheet.

3.Spread spaghetti sauce in an 18x4 inch strip down the center. Sprinkle with oregano, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese.

4.Fold long sides of dough up toward filling and pinch ends to seal, then turn it over so that the seam is facing the baking sheet.
5. At this time I brushed an Italian oil with spices on top of the bread, then sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.

6. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.


Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Ready in: 45 minutes

My husband's thoughts: It was really good
My thoughts: Mm...I'll be making this again, this is so so good! It's not as good as how my Mom used to make, but I didn't expect it to. I'll try her recipe next!
I'd also like to add that for the first time ever, Tera walked into the kitchen on multiple occasions with her nose up the the air, smelling the aromas of the baking stromboli.

No comments:

Post a Comment