Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Dinner for Two (and then some)

I've made the decision that I am going to cook more, but focus on trying new recipes. After searching www.allrecipes.com for new ideas, I decided on trying Baked Ziti I (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Ziti-I/Detail.aspx). Imagine is courtesy of All Recipes.


Ingredients:
1 pound dry ziti pasta
1 onion, chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
2 (26 ounch) jars spaghetti sauce (I used a spinach and cheese spaghetti sauce)
6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
1.5 cups sour cream
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

Directions:
  1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.
  2. In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer as follows: 1/2 of the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Here is what mine looked like before going into the oven, it barely all fit into the pan.
  1. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.
Here is my beautiful helper, who sat in front of the sink the entire time.

Prep Time: 20 minutes The Husband's Thoughts: Yum!
Cook Time: 35 minutes My thoughts: Very good!
Ready in: 55 minutes
Yields: 10 servings

Overall Outcome: This dish makes a lot of food, so either make it for a crowd or be prepared to eat leftovers for a while! I packed up two containers to freeze for another (lazy) day, and we still have enough to eat for dinner again this week. I will make this again, but will try not to burn my finger in the oven next time. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment